Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Dead Cow and Malaria Pills...

I just finished packing up my stuff and I figured it was a perfect time to write one last note before Internet access becomes less of a reality in my life. My final evening here in the States was spent laughing with a bunch of other future Volunteers. I love my new family. We come from all over the country and bring such unique strengths. I look forward to getting to know everyone better over the next two years. Tonight, some of us went and ate big, greasy cheeseburgers. It was the first time I have ever ordered a double cheeseburger. I was unable to eat that much dead cow, but I gave it my best shot. It was a fitting sendoff as we depart from the old red, white and blue.

I am convinced that tomorrow will be the longest day of my life. We have to check out of our hotel at 5am, then by 7am we will be waiting at “the clinic” for varied shots and our first dose of malaria meds. The flight to Johannesburg leaves late tomorrow afternoon and arrives Thursday afternoon (that is fifteen and a half hours of airtime). I will officially be in Namibia on Friday at about 5:30pm (Namibia time), and that is when the good stuff begins. I am ready to get this started. It has been great to hear about being a Peace Corps Volunteer, but I am ready to experience it on my own.

Well, it is time to crawl in bed and enjoy my final night with air conditioning. I must admit I do miss Colorado. I miss seeing mountains with snow. I miss everyone at home, but I am really thrilled that I am outta here. Please write me and send me music and books and anything else. Bye for now.

1 comment:

woe&wonder said...

Keep us posted as much as possible girl!! I have said it before, I am so proud of you.
I'll try to keep education in check as much as possible here. Do what you do in your part of the world!
delisa