Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Is stealing always wrong?

Toilet paper, markers, puppies, pens, pencils, erasures, glue, magazines, matches, books, chapstick, candles, batteries, scissors, shampoo, stickers, camera, ipod speaker. This is a short list of some stuff that has been stolen from me in the past month and a half. It started innocently enough with people going through my trash. Stealing whatever they found of interest. Then it developed to crawling through the window of the library. And in the past two weeks it has morphed into going in my hut. I am not sure what to do about the incessant stealing but it has brought up some interesting issues for me. One point of view is these kids are poor and stealing a pencil or even my camera is simply a way to provide for themselves or their families, a type of Robin Hood, perhaps. Another point of view is that stealing, no matter the circumstance, is wrong and if we don’t make a stand now these kids will grow up learning to take things rather than learning to work for what they need. I am not sure where I fall with this but I am bummed it is happening. Not as much for the loss of material things but for the loss of trust and respect. Oh well. I am sure this issue will work itself out. In the meantime, I am not going to give up. The final term has begun and I am committed to do my best despite the stealing. Best wishes to all my teacher friends who have gone back to work. Have a great school year! My roller coaster ride continues. Hopefully with more ups than downs.

Happy Belated Birthday Mom!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow!Can someone from a place where basically we can get anything and everything handed to us at will really make an opinion regarding theivary. However, I also see daily the results of those who have little and sometimes do whatever is necessary to get by. That's a tough one Tina. You've given this mini-van driven hot mama something to think about.

Randy and Christine said...

Been there, done that. I think stealing is stealing. Robin Hood was trying to steal back from an enemy; you are there to help.

Anonymous said...

Stealing is stealing no matter what anyone calls it. You are there to give your knowledge to your students and that someone cannot steal. Material things have no value to the knowledge you have worked hard to obtain. Things will work out in the end...I could mail you my safe(but for that to work the safe would have to be nailed down pretty good...hahaha).
Love ya,
Fred